The mission of the Bethany College Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) will be congruent to the mission statement of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) SAAC. In summary, the mission is "To enhance the total student-athlete experience by promoting opportunity, protecting student-athlete welfare, and fostering a positive student-athlete image at Bethany College."
The Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) at Bethany College is composed of student-athletes assembled to provide insight on the student-athlete experience at the college. While the student-athlete experience at Bethany has its own uniqueness, the SAAC will attempt to govern itself in accordance to the constitution and policies of both the national (NCAA) and conference (Presidents' Athletic Conference (PAC)) SAAC committees. While primary focus will be toward the Bethany student-athlete experience, attempts will be made to be in compliance with the larger aforementioned bodies.
Goals and Objectives
- To generate a student-athlete voice within the College, PAC and NCAA structure.
- To solicit student-athlete response to College, PAC and NCAA legislation.
- To recommend potential change or amendment in College, PAC or NCAA legislation.
- To review, react and comment to the governance structure on legislation, activities and subjects of interest that pertain to the College, PAC and NCAA student-athletes.
- To actively participate in the administrative process of Bethany College athletics programs.
- To promote a positive image of a Bethany College student-athlete.
- To promote communication between athletics administration and student-athletes.
- To disseminate relative information between the athletics administration and the student-athletes.
- To provide feedback and insight into athletic department issues. Among these are: travel, scheduling, academic concerns, equity, budgeting, staffing, facilities and equipment, athletic training and auxiliary functions that have a direct bearing on the welfare of a Bethany student-athlete.
- To generate a student-athlete voice within the athletic department.
- To build a sense of community within the athletic department involving all athletic teams.
- To solicit student-athlete responses to proposed College, PAC and NCAA legislation.
- To serve as a conduit of communication between student-athletes, coaches and athletic administration.
2016-17 Bethany SAAC Members
President: Lauren Simpson – Indoor Track & Field
Vice President: Julie Slezak – Women’s Soccer
Treasurer: Mark Tichenor – Men’s Swimming & Diving
Secretary: Francesca Capaldi – Softball
Aiden Albert – Men’s Basketball
Drake Berlin – Men’s Tennis
Andre Butler – Men’s Outdoor Track & Field
Kelsea Daugherty – Women’s Basketball
Ryan Donnelly – Men’s Indoor Track & Field
Emily Duke – Volleyball
Emily Folk – Women’s Tennis
Jake Holland – Men’s Lacrosse
Gabrielle Goudy – Women’s Cross Country
Julianna Libengood – Women’s Swimming & Diving
Zach Lowe – Football
Bill McLuckie - Baseball
Alex Michalenko – Men’s Cross Country
Jacob O’Donnell – Men’s Soccer
Lauren Rao – Women’s Outdoor Track & Field
Ryan Senka – Golf
Kim Lafferre – Co-Advisor
Brian Rose – Co-Advisor