Andrew Woodley, Sports Information Director
CLERMONT, Fla. (March 12) - The Bethany College softball team posted two come-from-behind wins to open play at the PFX Spring Games. The Bison walked-off Northwestern (Minn.) 5-4, before closing the day with an 8-6 victory in extra innings at the Legends Way complex.
- Game 1 Final: Bethany 5, Northwestern 4 (Box Score)
- Game 2 Final: Bethany 8, Ohio Wesleyan 6 (F/8) (Box Score)
- Records: Bethany 2-0 | Northwestern 4-5 | Ohio Wesleyan 0-2
- Location: Legends Way | Clermont, Florida
GAME 1: Bethany 5, Northwestern 4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team generated much offense early in the game. Northwestern took advantage of a dropped third-strike to lead off the third inning, and later scored on a fielders choice to break the scoreless-tie.
- The Eagles opened up a 4-0 lead in the top of the sixth inning with three runs on a trio of singles and a sacrifice fly.
- Bethany led off the bottom of the sixth with back-to-back walks, before a two-RBI single by sophomore Tyra Bell (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Cumberland Valley) helped the Bison slice the deficit in half.
- Senior Ashley Narigon (Washington, Pa./McGuffey) followed Bell with a double, before an RBI-single by freshman Gabby Capaldi (Steubenville, Ohio/Catholic Central) pulled Bethany within one run at 4-3.
- Senior pitcher Sam Binkley (Kenilworth, Ontario/St. James) sat down the Eagles in order in the seventh to set the stage for a Bison walk-off.
- Bethany led the inning off with back-to-back singles to put runners at first and second, but the next two batters were retired to bring the Bison to their final out.
- Bell delivered again, driving in the lead runner with a double to center field to tie the game at 4-4.
- Narigon followed Bell with a single to center field to plate the game-winning run and help the Bison open the season with a walk-off win.
- Bell finished the game with two hits, three RBI and one run scored.
- Narigon also finished with two hits, including the walk-off single in the seventh inning.
- Binkley (1-0) tossed a complete-game, while allowing four runs (three earned) on nine hits with eight strikeouts (one-shy of a career-best).
GAME 2: Bethany 8, Ohio Wesleyan 6 (Final / 8 innings)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ohio Wesleyan scored the game's first six runs and limited Bethany to two hits through the first five innings.
- The Bison bats started to roll in the sixth inning. The first four Bethany batters connected on base hits, with junior Emily Folk (Hagerstown, Md./North Hagerstown) and Bell delivering RBI hits to draw the Bison within four at 6-2.
- Bethany plated two more runs before the inning ended with RBIs from Capaldi and sophomore Kaitlyn Mills (New Lexington, Ohio/Crooksville). The Bison tried to push across another run, but Ohio Wesleyan's left fielder made a throw to the plate to end the frame and help the Bishops maintain a 6-4 advantage.
- Senior pitcher Cassie Weiss (Taylorstown, Pa./McGuffey) retired Ohio Wesleyan in order in the bottom of the sixth to keep the Bison within two runs.
- In the seventh inning, Bethany put runners on first and second with one out on a pair of singles. Sophomore Kayla Dinsmore (Beavercreek, Ohio/Beavercreek) followed suit with the third single in the inning to push across one run and make the score 6-5.
- The Bison were down to their final out, when sophomore Sammie Weiss (Taylorstown, Pa./McGuffey) singled to center field to tie the game.
- The Bishops were in position to end the game in the bottom half of the seventh when they put runners on second and third with one out. Pitcher Cassie Weiss came through with a strikeout and a ground out to end the threat and send the game into an extra inning.
- Utilizing international rules (runner placed at second), the Bison managed to load the bases with no outs on a walk and a fielder's choice.
- Mills delivered her second RBI-hit of the day with a single that drove in two runs and gave Bethany an 8-6 lead.
- Cassie Weiss sat down the Bishops in order in the bottom half of the eighth inning to preserve a second come-from-behind win to open the season.
- Weiss (1-0) allowed six runs (four earned) on 14 hits and struck out 11 batters to earn the win.
- Five Bison finished with multiple hits, including Mills who led the team with three RBI.
- Folk, Bell, Dinsmore and sophomore Erica Amoroso (Belle Vernon, Pa./Belle Vernon) also ended the game with two hits, apiece.
- Bethany will play against the Coast Guard at 9 a.m. and finish its second day with an 11:30 a.m. game versus Becker.
- Both games will have live statistics to follow, courtesy of those schools.
- Check the schedule page for links to live stats for both games.