Andrew Woodley, Sports Information Director
CLERMONT, Fla. (March 14) - Senior pitcher Cassie Weiss (Taylorstown, Pa./McGuffey) established the all-time Bethany College strikeout record, as the Bison defeated Roger Williams 6-1 Friday afternoon at the PFX Spring Games. Bethany would later conclude the day with a 9-0 run-rule loss to Hope.
- Game 1 Final: Bethany 6, Roger Williams 1 (Box Score)
- Game 2 Final: Hope 9, Bethany 0 - F/6 (Box Score)
- Records: Bethany 5-3 | Roger Williams 1-11 | Hope 2-1
- Location: Hancock Park | Clermont, Florida
GAME 1: Bethany 6, Roger Williams 1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bison jumped out in-front early when sophomore Tyra Bell (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Cumberland Valley) drove in a pair with a double. Bell would come around to score on a two-out error by the Roger Williams left fielder to make the score 3-0.
- Roger Williams managed to get one of the runs back with a trio of two-out hits off of Weiss, who would go on to strike out the side in the inning.
- Weiss continued to mow down Roger Williams in the second inning, striking out the side once again. The third strikeout in the inning was her sixth of the game and 464th of her career, breaking the all-time strikeout record previously held by former Bison Rachael Schafer (2000-03).
- Senior pitcher Sam Binkley (Kenilworth, Ontario/St. James) came on for the third inning and continued where Weiss left off. Binkley would go on to allow only three scattered hits over the final five innings.
- Bethany added to its lead in the fourth inning on a two-RBI single by sophomore Kayla Dinsmore (Beavercreek, Ohio/Beavercreek) that pushed the score to 5-1 in favor of the Bison.
- The Green & White also tacked on one more run with a sacrifice fly in the seventh inning by sophomore Erica Amoroso (Belle Vernon, Pa./Belle Vernon).
- Weiss went two innings and struck out six, but Binkley (3-1) earned the win in the circle after holding Roger Williams to scoreless over five innings with four strikeouts of her own.
- Dinsmore led the Bison offense with three hits, two RBI and a run scored, while senior Jazz Fuqua (Washington, Pa./Trinity) finished with two hits and one run scored.
GAME 2: Hope 9, Bethany 0 (Final/6 Innings)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hope took the lead in the top of the first inning with a three-run home run over the left field fence.
- Bethany had its best opportunity to score in the bottom of the second inning. Bell and freshman Gabby Capaldi (Steubenville, Ohio/Catholic Central) led off with consecutive singles and advanced to second and third with one out, but back-to-back strikeouts ended the threat.
- The Dutchmen tacked on three more runs in the third inning, all with two outs. Hope put runners in scoring position and got a triple and a single to plate three and push its lead to 6-0.
- The Bison batters had a difficult time dealing with Hope pitcher Sydney Jones, who did not allow another baserunner over the final four innings of the game. She would go on to finish with 12 strikeouts to help the Dutchmen claim the run-rule win.
- Weiss (2-2) took the loss after allowing nine runs (six earned) on 13 hits.
- She struck out eight in the game to push her career strikeout total to 472.
- Bethany will conclude its spring break trip tomorrow, Saturday March 17 when they take on Plymouth State (9:00 a.m.) and Benedictine (11:30 a.m.) at Legends Way.
- Neither game will have a live statistical feed. For score updates follow the Bison on Twitter (@Bethany_Bison).