Andrew Woodley, Sports Information Director
BETHANY, W.Va. (April 10) - The Bethany College softball team was swept by Penn State Behrend, losing 2-1 in eight innings, before falling 6-4 in game two Tuesday evening in a non-conference doubleheader.
- Game 1: Penn State Behrend 2, Bethany 1 - Final/8 Innings (Box Score)
- Game 2: Penn State Behrend 6, Bethany 4 (Box Score)
- Records: Bethany 8-10 | Penn State Behrend 15-7
- Location: Bison Field | Bethany, West Virginia
GAME 1: Penn State Behrend 2, Bethany 1 (F/8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It was a pitchers duel early on with Bethany's Cassie Weiss (Taylorstown, Pa./McGuffey) and Behrend's AJ Nichols retiring the side in order in the first three innings.
- The Lions got their first base-runner in the fourth inning with the help of an error, while a base-hit by Bison junior Emily Folk (Hagerstown, Md./North Hagerstown) in the bottom of the inning broke up Behrend's no-hit bid.
- The Bison got on the board in the fifth when senior Ashley Narigon (Washington, Pa./McGuffey) singled and scored on an errant throw on a sacrifice bunt attempt. The throw went all the way behind the tarp in right field and allowed Narigon to easily score and give Bethany a 1-0 lead.
- Weiss still had a no-hitter going into the sixth inning. Behrend got a one-out single, but a misplay allowed the runner to advance all the way to third base on the play.
- A wild-pitch during the next batter allowed the runner to score and tie the game up.
- After both teams went scoreless in the sixth and seventh, the Lions led the eighth inning off with a double.
- Behrend sacrificed the runner to third and Weiss struck out the next batter, but a two-out single down the line managed to bring the eventual game-winning run home.
- The Bison were sat down in order in the bottom of the eighth inning to complete the Lions comeback win.
- Weiss fell to 5-5 after yielding just two runs (one earned) on six hits with seven strikeouts, while pitching all eight innings.
- Nichols, who improved to 8-2, held Bethany to one run (zero earned) on two hits with nine strikeouts for Behrend.
GAME 2: Penn State Behrend 6, Bethany 4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Behrend opened the game with a two-run inning on five hits to take the lead before the Bison had a chance to bat.
- Bethany responded when Folk and sophomore Kayla Dinsmore (Beavercreek, Ohio/Beavercreek) singled to put two on with one out.
- Sophomore Tyra Bell (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Cumberland Valley) gave the Bison a 3-2 lead when she sent a pitch over the left field fence for her second home run this season.
- Behrend reclaimed the lead with the help of five-straight two-out hits in the third inning that scored four runs and gave the visitors a 6-3 lead.
- Both team's pitchers limited their opponents to a few scattered hits over the next three innings, leaving the Bison down to their final three outs.
- The Bison had two on with two outs when Dinsmore singled into right field to score one run and bring the potential go-ahead run to the plate.
- Behrend substituted in a new pitcher, who would record the final out and send Bethany to a two-game sweep.
- Senior Sam Binkley (Kenilworth, Ontario/St. James) dropped to 3-5 this season after allowing six runs on 16 hits with four strikeouts in a complete-game effort.
- Dinsmore finished with three hits and an RBI, while Folk added a pair of base hits in the loss.
- Bethany will return to Bison Field on Thursday, April 12 when they host Washington & Jefferson for a doubleheader at 3:30 p.m.
- Fans can follow live statistical updates of the games here.