Andrew Woodley, Sports Information Director
WAYNESBURG, Pa. (April 28) - The Bethany College softball team clinched its spot into the Presidents' Athletic Conference (PAC) Tournament with a two-game sweep at Waynesburg Saturday afternoon. The Bison claimed a 6-1 win in game one, before wrapping up a tournament bid with a 6-3 victory in game two.
- Game 1: Bethany 6, Waynesburg 1 (Box Score)
- Game 2: Bethany vs. Waynesburg (Box Score)
- Records: Bethany 17-16, 9-8 PAC | Waynesburg 12-20, 5-13 PAC
- Location: Waynesburg Softball Field | Waynesburg, Pennsylvania
Game 1: Bethany 6, Waynesburg 1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bison went ahead in the first inning when senior Ashley Narigon (Washington, Pa./McGuffey) doubled down the left field line to make the score 2-0.
- Bethany added to its lead in the fifth inning when it had runners in scoring position with one out. Sophomore Tyra Bell (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Cumberland Valley) put the ball into play and sophomore Erica Amoroso (Belle Vernon, Pa./Belle Vernon) beat the throw to the plate to score the game's third run.
- Waynesburg finally got to senior pitcher Sam Binkley (Kenilworth, Ontario/St. James) in the fifth inning. Binkley held the Yellow Jackets to one hit through four innings, but Waynesburg connected on a pair of singles that plated a run to make the score 3-1.
- Bethany tacked on two more runs in the sixth and another in the seventh to take a 6-1 lead. The offensive output was more than enough run support for Binkley, who continued to shut down the Waynesburg lineup.
- Binkley notched her 10th win of the season after limited the Yellow Jackets to one run on five hits with five strikeouts.
- Bell led the offense with three hits, two RBI and one run scored, while Narigon finished with the two-RBI double.
- Juniors Emily Folk (Hagerstown, Md./North Hagerstown) and Fran Capaldi (Steubenville, Ohio/Catholic Central) each had two hits, while Capaldi added an RBI to her line.
Game 2: Bethany 6, Waynesburg 3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Waynesburg struck first with a two-out RBI-single in the first inning to take a 1-0 lead.
- Bethany took advantage of a throwing error in the second inning to tie the game. The Bison loaded the bases and Amoroso pushed across a run on an infield fielder's choice that tied the score at 1-1.
- Both team's had a runner in scoring position in the third inning, but neither came away with a go-ahead run.
- Bethany manufactured a run in the fourth to take the lead with the help of a second Waynesburg error. Fran Capaldi led the inning off with a single, advanced to second on an error and to third when she tagged up on a fly ball. Folk came up with the two-out hit to bring her home and make the score 2-1 Bison.
- The Green & White made the Yellow Jackets pay once again in the fifth inning on a fielding error. Narigon drew a lead-off walk and moved to third on a wild pitch and a ground out. Capaldi reached base on an error on what would have been the second out, before senior Jazz Fuqua (Washington, Pa.Trinity) delivered a sacrifice fly to score Narigon from third and make the score 3-1.
- Waynesburg managed to tie the game up in the bottom half of the fifth with the aide of a Bethany error and two hits, but the Bison quickly responded.
- Sophomore Kaitlyn Mills (New Lexington, Ohio/Crooksville) led the sixth inning off with a pinch-hit single, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt and scored when classmate Kayla Dinsmore (Beavercreek, Ohio/Beavercreek) singled to center field to give the Bison a 4-3 lead.
- Bethany added to its lead in the seventh with two runs on four singles and two sacrifices to more out to a 6-3 lead and held on for the win.
- Binkley improved to 11-11 this season after she held Waynesburg to three runs (two earned) on nine hits with five strikeouts.
- Fuqua led the team with two hits and two RBI, while Amoroso finished with two RBI.
- Capaldi ended the game with two hits and three runs scored.
- Dinsmore had two hits, including a double, and one RBI.
- Bethany has clinched the fourth and final spot into the PAC Tournament that will begin on Thursday, May 3 in Crestview Hills, Kentucky.
- Thomas More, who won the regular-season championship, has earned the hosting rights and will play Bethany in an opening round game.
- Stay tuned to BethanyBison.com for further details on the PAC Tournament and follow the Bison on Twitter (@Bethany_Bison) for updates.