Aug 31, 2018
BETHANY, W.Va. (Aug. 31) - The Bethany College women's soccer team narrowly missed forcing overtime in the final minute of its 2-1 loss to Pitt.-Greensburg to open the 2018 season.
- Final: Pitt.-Greensburg 2, Bethany 1 (Box Score)
- Records: Bethany 0-1, Pitt.-Greensburg 1-0
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Pitt.-Greensburg got on the board first in the 11th-minute of the match on a misplayed ball that allowed the Bobcats to take a 1-0 lead.
- Freshman Emily Vetri (Sparrows Point, Md./Sparrows Point) tied the game up in the 37th-minute on a direct kick from about 25 yards that beat the goalkeeper top-shelf.
- The Bobcats scored the eventual game-winning goal 10 minutes after halftime on a corner kick that bounced off of a Bison player, before being headed into the back of the net.
- Bethany had two chances late to tie the game up, but came away empty handed. Senior Lindsey Cornish (McKeesport, Pa./South Allegheny) was denied on a direct-kick in the 86th-minute, while a pair of shots in the final minute from close range came up wide of the goal.
- Bethany out-shot Pitt.-Greensburg 8-to-7 for the match.
- Freshman Alex Moore (Portland, Ore./Glencoe) was saddled with the loss in her collegiate-debut in net.
- Bethany will host Penn State-Beaver tomorrow, Saturday, September 1 at Hoag Field at 2 p.m.
- A live stat feed of the match will be available here.