HAVERFORD, Pa. (Sept. 1) – The Bethany College volleyball team opened the 2018 season with a 3-0 win over Farmindale State Saturday morning in the first match of the Haverford Classic. The Bison closed the day with a match against Arcadia later in the day.
- Match 1 Final: Bethany 3, Farmingdale State 0 (25-17, 25-13, 25-22 | Box Score)
- Match 2 Final: Arcadia 3, Bethany 2 (25-12, 22-25, 23-25, 25-17, 15-11 | no stats reported)
- Location: Gooding Arena | Haverford, Pennsylvania
BETHANY vs. FARMINGDALE STATE MATCH NOTES
- Bethany was dominant in its season-opening set versus Farmingdale State. The Bison led 13-11 before rattling off 12 of the next 18 points to earn a 25-17 win in the first set.
- The Bison held Farmingdale State to a negative-.097 hitting percentage in the second set and hit a match-best .220 to collect a 25-13 win and a 2-0 lead in the match, before holding on for a 25-22 win in the third set to earn the sweep.
- Junior Katie Sparks (Macedonia, Ohio/Trinity) led the Bison with 13 kills on 34 attacks (.294 hitting percentage) and added 11 digs to earn a kill-dig double-double.
- Sophomore Jenna Scott (New Castle, Ind./Liberty Christian) guided the offense with 29 assists, while added a trio of kills and eight digs to her final line.
- Senior Reilly Parker (North Huntingdon, Pa./Norwin) led the defense with 14 digs, while junior Maggie Merren (Oregon, Ohio/Clay) chipped in 12 digs.
BETHANY vs. ARCADIA MATCH NOTES
- Statistics for this match have not yet been released.
- Match notes will be provided once the box score is available.
- The Bison will wrap-up play at the Haverford Classic tomorrow, Sunday, September 2 when they take on Goucher at noon and Bard around 2 p.m.
- There will be live video of the second game versus Bard. Haverford was experiencing internet issues during play on Saturday that prohibited the stream of the Farmindale State match.