Bethany, W. Va. – The Bethany College football team hosted the Carnegie Mellon Tartans for a PAC contest Saturday afternoon. The Bison squeaked by the Tartans, 23-19. With the victory, the Bison move to 3-4, (3-3), while the Tartans are now 5-2, (4-2).
After a scoreless first quarter, the Bison struck first with 12:49 to play in the second quarter. Senior quarterback Carlin Bason connected to Hunter Klein on a 23-yard touchdown. The extra point attempt was blocked by a Tartan player to make the score, 6-0, Bison. The Tartans knotted the score 6-6 off a 1 yard play. The Tartans' extra point bounced off the upright leading to a 6-6 score.
The Bison took momentum going into halftime off the foot of Sean Cole. The junior kicker nailed a 44-yard field goal as time expired giving the green and white a 9-6 lead going into the break.
In the second half, the green and right continued to gain momentum. The Tartans went three and out, the Bison stampeded down the field to take a 16-6 lead. Dom Salinetro connected with Klien for his second touchdown of the game.
Bethany's defense detained Carnegie Mellon's offense to another three and out. The Bison capitalized in three plays to extend their lead to 23-6. Klein hit the end zone for the third time off the throw from Salinetro for 56-yards.
The Tartans attempted to make a comeback, getting within four points in the fourth quarter, but the Bison defense was too much for the Tartans to handle.
Offensive Game Leaders
- Dom Salinetro (5-9, 90 yards, 2 TDs)
- Carlin Bason (8-15, 183 yards, 1 TDs)
- Hunter Klein (6 rec, 120 yards, 3 TDs)
- Sean Cole (1-1 FG, 2-3 extra points)
Defensive Game Leaders
- The Bison defense tallied 9 sacks for a total loss of 50 yards and notched 14 tackles for loss for 61 total yards.
- Chas Blango (6 tackles, 3.5 sacks – 19 yards, 4.5 tackles for loss – 20 yards, 1 fumble recovery, 1 INT, 1 broken up pass)
- Bryce Rohbraugh (3.5 sacks – 20 yards, 4.5 tackles for loss – 22 yards)
- Daniel Gibson (12 tackles, 0.5 sacks- 3 yards, 1 tackle for loss – 4 yards, 1 fumble recovery)
- Mike Berry (9 tackles, 0.5 sacks – 3 yards, 1.5 tackles for loss – 4 yards)
- Quron Eggleston (6 tackles, 1 sack – yards, 1 tackle for loss – 5 yards, 1 broken up pass)
Bethany College football heads into the bye week with a two game winning streak. The Bison return to action on November 2, when they travel to Case Western Reserve for a PAC contest. Kickoff is set for 2 pm.