Andrew Woodley, Sports Information Director
BEAVER FALLS, Pa. (April 13) - The Bethany College softball team was swept by Geneva, losing 3-1 to open the day, before falling 11-8 in game two Friday evening in a Presidents' Athletic Conference (PAC) doubleheader.
- Game 1: Geneva 3, Bethany 1 (Box Score)
- Game 2: Geneva 11, Bethany 8 (Box Score)
- Records: Bethany 10-12, 3-5 PAC | Geneva 11-11, 3-5 PAC
- Location: Geneva Softball Field | Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
Game 1: Geneva 3, Bethany 1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneva managed to scrape across runs in the second and fifth innings to take a 2-0 lead, but its pitching and defense were keeping Bethany off the scoreboard.
- The Bison were limited to one hit through the first six innings of the game.
- Sophomore Kayla Dinsmore (Beavercreek, Ohio/Beavercreek) doubled to lead off the seventh inning, but the next two batters were retired.
- Sophomore Kaitlyn Mills (New Lexington, Ohio/Crooksville) kept swinging the hot bat and delivered a RBI-double to make the score 2-1.
- The Bison had runners at first and second after a hit-by-pitch, but the Golden Tornadoes held on for the win by forcing a fly ball for the third out.
- Senior Sam Binkley (Kenilworth, Ontario/St. James) was saddled with the loss. Binkley (4-6) allowed three runs (one earned) on just four hits with four strikeouts over six innings.
- Geneva's Kyleigh Jo Ward held the Bison to one run on three hits with two strikeouts in the win.
Game 2: Geneva 11, Bethany 8
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The second game provided much more offense, as the two teams combined for 26 hits.
- Geneva established a 2-0 lead after three innings, but a big five-run top of the fourth gave the Bison a 5-2 lead.
- The Golden Tornadoes responded with a big inning of their own in the bottom half. Geneva pushed across six runs on seven hits to reclaim the lead at 8-5, before adding to its lead with two more runs in the fifth inning to go up 10-5.
- The Bison got one run back in the sixth inning and put two runners on with one out in the seventh.
- Sophomore Tyra Bell (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Cumberland Valley) brought both runners home with a double, but a pair of pop ups ended the Bison threat and gave Geneva its second win of the day.
- Binkley fell to 4-7 after she was tagged for eight runs on 12 hits in three innings of relief. Sophomore Erica Amoroso (Belle Vernon, Pa./Belle Vernon) started the game and allowed three runs (two earned) on four hits over three innings of work.
- Freshman Gabby Capaldi (Steubenville, Ohio/Catholic Central) finished with three hits, two RBI and two runs scored.
- Both Dinsmore and Bell had two hits, while Bell led the team with three RBI.
- Bethany will travel to Pittsburgh to take on Chatham in a PAC doubleheader tomorrow, Saturday April 14 at 1 p.m.
- Fans can follow live statistical updates of the games here.