BETHANY, WV (BethanyBison.com) – Senior Reilly Parker (North Huntingdon, Pa./Norwin) registered her 2,000th career dig as the Bethany College Volleyball team swept President's Athletic Conference (PAC) foe, Thiel College, Wednesday night, Sept. 12, inside the Hummel Field House.
Final: Bethany 3, Thiel 0 (25-23, 25-17, 25-20) | Box Score
Records: Bethany 5-2, 2-1 PAC | Thiel 3-7, 0-2 PAC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After winning the first three points in the opening set, Thiel stormed back to take the next four points for the lead, which they maintained for a majority of the set. Both teams continued to trade points throughout the set, but the Green and White were able to tie the set at 19 apiece before taking off to win the set, 25-23.
- The Bison kept the pressure on in the second set as they got themselves to a healthy 21-14 lead. The Bobcats would attempt to close the gap by winning three points, but that would get as close as they could get as Bethany won its second in a row, 25-17.
- Despite losing a few early points, the Green and White in the third set as they took the lead, 6-5, and maintained it until the end of the set, 25-20.
- Parker became just the fourth Bison in program history to surpass the 2,000 career dig milestone. The North Huntingdon, Pa. native joins Robin Sayre '86-89 (2,516 digs), Julia Mouch '12-15 (2,466 digs), and Tiffany Hoffman '08-11 (2,313 digs).
- Junior Katie Sparks (Macedonia, Ohio/Trinity) continues to be a staple for the Bethany attack as she led her squad with 23 kills for a blistering .435 hitting clip. Sparks also added 10 digs to her stat line.
- After hitting a .186 in the first set, the Bison strategized and came out to hit a .304 and .389 in the second and third set, respectively. Thiel struggled on their attacking end in the opening two sets as they hit at a .189 and .128 before going off and hitting at a .297 percentage.
The Bison hit the road again this weekend as they travel to Wooster, Ohio to take part of the Ginny Hunt Kilt Classic, Sept. 14-15. Friday, the Green and White will face off against host Wooster College at 3:30 p.m. before facing off against Pitt-Bradford at 5:30 p.m. Bethany will then wrap up the Classic on Saturday starting with an 11 a.m. match against the Bulldogs of Adrian College followed by a 3 p.m. tilt against Denison. Live stats for the tournament can be found on the host tournament page here.